|Pre and Post-Procedure Instructions
- Bring your Consent Form signed the day of your procedure.
- Continue to take any of your regular medications unless instructed otherwise.
- Use the Lid Scrubs provided one night before and on the day of the procedure.
- Remove all make-up the day of the procedure.
- No perfume or cologne.
- You may eat a light meal the day of your procedure.
- Wear warm comfortable clothing and low-heeled shoes.
- You will need to arrange for a driver to take you home after the procedure.
- To recuperate you will need generally one day for LASIK and two to three days for PRK.
- No cell phones or pagers.
- Oral Medication: 10mg. of Valium is administered the day of your procedure.
- There should be minimal discomfort the first 24 hours. Report any significant pain or excessive irritation without delay.
- It is helpful to keep your eyes closed for the first four hours after your procedure.
- Take Tylenol®, Aspirin, etc. for discomfort as needed.
- Sleep in the goggles for the first night. Following the procedure.
- Do not rub your eye(s) for one week after your procedure! It is okay to rub gently while removing eye make-up.
- You may take a shower or tub bath, but avoid getting water in the operated eye(s) for 72 hours.
- Avoid water sports (swimming, hot tubs, lake water) for one week.
- Do not drive for the first 12 hours.
- You may jog or workout after one day.
- Wear safety glasses for contact sports and work if indicated.
- No eye make-up for three days following the procedure.
- Flying is permitted within 24 hours after your procedure; however, we suggest that you discuss this with Dr. Schuster prior.
- Update your Driver’s License.
Vigamox/Ciloxan/Zymar: Use one drop every two hours on operated eye(s) only while awake.
Econopred Plus/Flarex/Pred Forte/FML: Use one drop every two hours on operated eye(s) only while awake.
Preservative-Free Artificial Tears: This drop should be used every hour while awake for the first few weeks.
Preservative-Free Artificial Tears:
Bion Tears, Tears Naturale II, Refresh Tears, and Thera-Tears
To avoid washing out the previously applied drops, it is best to separate the drops by at least one minute.
- You will experience burning, tearing, scratchy irritated eye(s) within 30 minutes after the procedure. This is normal but should subside within 3-4 hours after your surgery. It is helpful to keep your eyes closed as much as possible.
- Wear the goggles we provided for you for the first 24 hours. Remove them only to instill your eye drops.
- Use your eye drops as prescribed regardless of how your eyes feel or how you see! It is OK to use the preservative free artificial tears more than once per hour.
- Most patients achieve functional vision (not perfect vision) within 24 hours of surgery, please do not be alarmed if your vision isn't 20/20 on day one! It is common to have foggy or hazy vision until the swelling subsides. It is also common to have fluctuation in vision after laser vision correction. Fluctuation in vision generally subsides within 4-6 weeks from your surgery date but may take longer in some individuals.
Please call (915)533-3461 if you have any questions or concerns.
After hours call Betty Clark , Laser Vision Coordinator, at (915) 588-2373.